Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sourdough Starter

So, I decided to start making my own bread again. It's an on-again off-again thing with me. I love the smell and taste of fresh bread and I love the cost (versus $8 a loaf pre-made), but you have to, especially with sourdough. Still, it's the holidays and I love baking and I loved my old sourdough recipe.

So, how did I do it?

First I started it. 1 cup of water, 1 cup of rice flour, 2 1/2 t. of yeast and stir before covering with a tea towel. If you don't like using the yeast, you can wild start with a couple of purple cabbage leaves and a few strips of apple peel, but I didn't have any cabbage. :P

Stir every 12 hours or so for 3 days, then you feed her.

1/2 c water and 1/2 c rice flour.

If you're going to use your starter, feed it at least 4 hours before cooking. 

That's it. Feed it daily. If you cook with it, you don't have to discard. If you don't cook, discard as much as you feed. :D

Simple simple. :D

Today, I used my starter to make sandwich bread, using the recipe from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring (which, if you don't have it? Totally worth the money).

IMG 0929

No comments:

Post a Comment